The Student Voice & Agency Team (SVAT) consists of elected students from all year levels who actively express their opinions and ideas regarding their learning and school issues. Through significant input from our SVAT our uniforms were redesigned and our school logo rebranded. The SVAT collaborates to implement their peers’ suggestions, aiming to foster engagement and a sense of connection within the school community. The Student Voice and Agency Team meet regularly with the principal and other members of the school’s leadership to discuss initiatives that enhance student input and engagement across all aspects of schooling.
Key Benefits and Research:
- Student agency is embedded in the belief that students have the ability and willingness to positively impact their own lives and the world around them.
- It involves setting goals, reflecting, and responsibly taking action to effect change, empowering students to be active participants rather than passive recipients.
- Students who have agency in their learning show greater motivation and are more likely to define their learning objectives, developing lifelong skills in self-directed learning.
- Agency can be applied in various contexts, including moral, social, and creative areas, promoting decision-making that considers the rights and needs of others.
- Co-agency emphasises collaborative relationships between students, teachers, parents, and the community, working together to support students in achieving shared goals and fostering a holistic approach to learning.
Agency helps students develop their identity and a sense of belonging. Developing Agency leads to motivation, hope, self-efficacy, and a growth mindset for positive wellbeing. This empowers children to act purposefully, fostering success and positive contributions to society.